Construct Ellipse with two Tacks, String, and Pencil
This video shows how to construct an ellipse using two tacks, a string, and pencil.
- Tie the ends of a string together to form a loop.
- Press a tack into the drawing paper
- Press another tack into the paper some distance away from the first tack. The distance between the tacks controls how skinny or wide the ellipse will be.
- Loop the string around the tacks and place the pencil within the loop.
- Rotate around the tacks, letting the length of the string form the shape of an ellipse.
Compass and Straight Edge Construction | concept